Where do I begin? For one thing, this post will be in several parts due to the volume of photos and the fact that wordpress takes about 5 minutes to upload a single photo and I can’t sit here for 2 hours…
Maybe we’ll start with a teaser pic of the abominable end product?
This doesn’t do it justice, really. It looked MUCH worse in person, and obviously nothing like the aspiration.
Started out with my new Williams Sonoma cookie press, one batch each of sugar and gingerbread cookie mixes, and high hopes.
The dough instructions were easy – for each, just add the requisite amounts of butter and eggs (and for the gingerbread, water) to the mixes and “stir until it achieves a dough like consistency”.
Not quite dough like, is it?…
But after kneading it by hand for a minute I was able to get it more dough-like:
And into the cookie press:
Had a few false starts with the cookie press but finally started to get the hang of it (partially by just taking the leftover bits of dough off the press and trying to reassemble them into the cookies on the sheet.
So learning to use the press was a pain in the ass, and on some of the shapes (I tried a few others besides the star but gave up because it wasn’t working) I couldn’t even pull the trigger all the way, but the cookies came out fine. Only complaint is that they were crispy, not chewy (likely due to being so small/thin), and MUCH too small to decorate as holiday cookies.
See – tiny!
When I realized they were too small for good decorating, I used the leftover dough for some easy start cookie cutter cookies.
All baked and waiting for decoration…
Next time: Gingerbread and buttercream….